DUBOSSARY


DUBOSSARY
DUBOSSARY, town on the Dniester River, E. Moldova. Founded at the end of the 18th century as a Russian fortress, Dubossary developed as a nearby settlement. The inhabitants were employed in the timber trade and log rafting. Jews traded in grain, wine, and prunes. They also grew tobacco. There were 2,506 Jews living in Dubossary (about 1,000 in the town itself) and its vicinity, including the towns of Grigoriopol and Ananyev, by 1847. In 1897 there were 5,220 Jews in Dubossary (43% of the total population). In April 1882 a pogrom was staged, and two Jews were killed, and much property was looted and destroyed. In the beginning of the 20th century the community operated a talmud torah, nine ḥadarim, and four private schools. An attempt to resuscitate the blood libel was made in 1903. During the civil war of 1918–20 Jewish self-defense was organized and the community remained relatively free from the pogroms that occurred at the time. Thousands of refugees making their way to Romania in 1920–22 passed through the town, and many from Dubossary itself also crossed the border. There were 3,630 Jews in Dubossary in 1926 (81% of the total population), dropping to 2,198 (total population 4,250) in 1939. In the 1930s there were about 400 Jewish artisans organized in nine cooperatives, and 227 farmers raising tobacco, while others worked as laborers and clerks. The Germans occupied Dubossary in mid-July 1941. At the end of August a ghetto was set up, and on September 1 the town was annexed to Romanian Transnistria. On September 11, 1941, the Jews were ordered to assemble. By September 28 about 6,000 Jews had been murdered. In September 1943 thousands of Jews were brought to Dubossary from Bessarabia and Moldavia and "liquidated" there. Some managed to join the partisans in the neighborhood. After the liberation of Dubossary on August 14, 1944, the Soviet Commission for Investigation of Nazi Crimes found that about 18,000 Jewish victims were buried in mass graves near the town. Approximately 100 to 150 survivors returned after the war. -BIBLIOGRAPHY: I. Rubin (ed.), Dubossary (Heb., and Yid., 1965); Dubnow, Hist Russ, 3 (1920), 70–1. Add. Bibliography: PK. (Yehuda Slutsky / Shmuel Spector (2nd ed.)

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Dubossary — Dubossary, Stadt des Kreises Ananjew im russischen Gouvernement Cherson, am Dniestr, Tabakbau; 5250 Ew …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Dubossáry — Dubossáry, Stadt im russ. Gouv. Cherson, Kreis Tiraspol, am linken Ufer des Dnjestr, mit 2 griechisch kath. Kirchen und einer Synagoge, hat (1897) 13,276 Einw., die Wein und Tabakbau, Talgsiederei, Gerberei sowie Holzhandel betreiben …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Dubossáry — Dubossáry, Stadt im russ. Gouv. Cherson, am Dnjestr, 13.276 E.; Flußhafen, Tabakbau …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Dubossary — Dubăsari …   Sinonimi e Contrari. Terza edizione

  • Dubăsari — Dubossary …   Sinonimi e Contrari. Terza edizione

  • Дубоссары — Город Дубоссары молд. Dubăsari, Дубэсарь, укр. Дубосари Флаг Герб …   Википедия

  • Pridnestrovian Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic — Infobox SSR name = Pridnestrovian Moldavian SSR full name = Pridnestrovian Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic loc name = Приднестровская Молдавская Советская Социалистическая Республика year start = 1990 year end = 1991 p1 = Moldavian SSR flag… …   Wikipedia

  • Дубоссарский район (ПМР) — Координаты …   Википедия

  • Дубэсарь — Город Дубоссары Дубоссары Страна ПМР/Молдавия[1]ПМР/ …   Википедия

  • Dubăsari — Dubăsari …   Wikipedia


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.